Tuesday, January 19, 2010

one last resolution


Forgot to add this one:
10 fruits & vegetables a day.
One of my jobs is teaching art / creative experience to cancer patients. I have done this work on and off for several years now and have learned a lot from the folks I work with. One definite lesson patients have taught me is: if there was any way to prevent cancer-they wish they would have done that.
That resonates with me as my grandfather always used to tell us grandkids : "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". And no where is this more true than with cancer. So when I began hearing this new mantra-to eat 10 servings of fruits and vegetables each day to maintain health & prevent disease-I listened. And I am trying. It is not easy-especially in winter time when there is little local stuff to be had and what there is the the stores does not always look or taste great. (I made some plantains last night that lacked taste of any kind until I poured lime juice onto the slices-oh how I miss the taste of fresh, ripe things!) But I am trying and am determined. Partly I want to be healthy. I want to avoid preventable disease. But also-I want those folks I have met over the years to know their lessons and trials and mistakes were not in vain. I was listening and learning from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment